TYBEE ISLAND, Ga. (March 16, 2012) -- Tybee Island, Ga. will proudly host the 8th Annual Tybee Island Turtle Trot 5K beach walk/run event, which benefits the Tybee Island Marine Science Center, on Saturday, April 28, 2012.
Sign-in and day-of-event registration begins at 7 a.m. The Turtle Trot Run/Walk begins at 8 a.m. The Loggerhead Sea Turtle release begins after the race at 10 a.m. The race starts at the Tybee Island Marine Science Center, located at 1510 Strand Avenue (next to the Tybee Pier and Pavilion).
The Tybee Island Turtle Trot officially kicks off coastal Georgia's sea turtle nesting season, which runs from May through October. This family-friendly run/walk event will include a special visit by Scute, the Georgia Sea Turtle Center's mascot, and the live release of a Loggerhead Sea Turtle in front of the Tybee Island Marine Science Center after the race.
This Tybee Island Turtle Trot is open to the public. Registration is now open at Active.com. Online registration will close on Thursday, April 26 at 5:00 p.m.
The registration fee for the Turtle Trot is $20 for Tybee Island Marine Science Center members and $25 for non-members.
For more information, please visit TybeeMarineScience.org or call 912.786.5917.
ABOUT TYBEE ISLAND:
Tybee Island, Georgia, an island paradise located just 20 minutes east of historic downtown Savannah, is an ideal year-round coastal destination for couples, families, meetings and more. Steeped in tradition and history, Tybee Island is home to several notable forts, informative museums, a historic lighthouse complex and miles of pristine beaches. Rich in relaxed style, Tybee Island also features a blend of eclectic art galleries, charming shops and exceptional restaurants. For more information about Tybee Island, please visit www.TybeeVisit.com online or call 912.786.5444.
Tybee Island's Most Recent Accolades:
- "Best Beaches for Families" -- Parents Magazine
- Top 10 Vacation Rental Hotspots for 2010 - TripAdvisor
- Top 10 City Beaches in America - AOL
- #1 Healthiest Beach in America - Health Magazine
- "Readers' Choice Best Beach" - Georgia Magazine
- "Best One Tank Trip" - Atlanta Journal Constitution
- "Best Beach Retreat" - Creative Loafing Atlanta
- Bicycle Friendly Community -- League of American Bicyclists
- Best Day Trip and Most Fun Place to Take the Kids -- Savannah Magazine